Wednesday, February 13, 2013

This morning was nice and clear which meant colder temps.  The thermometer showed 41 degrees when I left the house for my walk.  It was back to a winter hat and mittens again.  John rode his bike a little further this morning and then iced his knee when he returned home.

We ate a leisurely breakfast before getting cleaned up and  heading out the door to Eagle Pass for my doctor's appointment.  My appointment was scheduled for 11 a.m., but we didn't get in to see the doctor until after 12:30 p.m.  The nurse apologized for the wait saying the doctor had to spend some extra time with several patients.  The purpose of this visit was to get the results of the x-rays taken a month ago and determine a plan of treatment.  Dr. Dennis showed John and me the x-rays explaining that one disc in my lower back is completely gone which causes pressure on the nerves, thus the pain after sitting for a while.  I also have a great deal of arthritis in the same area and a bone bulging at one side in the lower spine.  His recommendation is to have steroid injections to relieve pain and to kept walking for exercise--he also approved playing golf.  The more activity, the better.  As long as I can walk, which I do everyday, without pain, and pain doesn't go down my leg, then this is the best option for now.  If the pain gets to a point where I can't walk or runs down my leg, then back surgery is the next step.  I would have to go to San Antonio for the pain management injections, so I decided to wait until I return to Minnesota before pursuing any further treatment.  He also agreed that was the best thing to do.  I didn't want to get in the middle of treatment and then have to go home and try and get something set up there.  I was able to get copies of my x-rays and his office will send me copies of all my records to take home.  John and I felt good about the visit and the fact that we finally know what I'm dealing with and have a plan for treatment.

It was well after 1 p.m. by the time we left the medical center, so we stopped at Wendy's for some lunch and then headed to Wal Mart to pick up a few grocery items.  Then it was a stop at the mall to get a birthday present with one more at HEB before hitting the road back to Brackettville.  Hopefully this was the last of doctor's appointment for this
month--John and I are both tired of spending so much time in waiting rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Roofing Being Done Everywhere!!

John and I have been keeping pretty busy over these last several weeks.  Our weather has turned quite warm, but the nights cool down very ni...